Get Some Stones
Deuteronomy week 6
This part of Deuteronomy tests the Israelites again to see if they are listening and if they can follow instructions. It’s bookended by the reminder that if they can obey and follow his commands they will receive blessings from God and be lifted above all other nations.
But it is also very clearly pointed out to them that God sees all and knows all, and that sins carried out in secret are still sins in God’s eyes and show disobedience towards God.
We are no different today than the Israelites were then. But often we need a reminder of the God who loves us and how He wants us to live.
Read the passage – Deuteronomy 27:1-28:4
What stood out to you? Was there something that really connected with you?
1. In verses 1-8 the Israelites are told to build stone altars when they get into the land. Why do you think they would have to do that?
2. God told the Israelites not to use iron tools, or fancy paint colours to build the altar. Why do you think that is?
3. In v8 Moses says to write the laws on the stones “very clearly”, why do you think God had to point that out?
4. In the list of curses in v14-26 the word secret is mentioned twice. Notice how most of the actions are things that could be hidden or done privately. Why do you think they are being warned that curses would come for even secret sins.
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
1. What do you need to remember Jesus and his blessings on us? (the Israelites had to build the altar to help them remember God’s blessings)